Sunday, August 22, 2010

Exciting things happening at Dragonflies Antiques

It's been a huge, busy and successful week.  These are what we live for.

Within a 24 hour span I got a great shot in the arm which I can only guess is because the universe aligned and things fell in place.


1. A women contacted me about making a Horror Flick here in Wolfeboro.  Well I just happened to have the most beautiful Victorian wedding dress with lots of lace which will be just perfect for a horrific bride locked in a celler.  Better yet was a young girl happened along who looked beautiful in the dress so we had all sorts of fun dressing her up and playing with her hair and taking pictures.  A perfect size 5 doesn't come along too often.  Sold dress for $100 and then I found the veil which will be another $100 and that's just rent. I get the items back - yeeha!

2. LL Bean came in and they were doing a photo shoot here in Wolfeboro for their spring catalog.  They wanted to rent some boat cushions for color.  Yeha!  Another rental $60 per day.

3. Then the third call was the best potential.  A casting company for a major television network contacted me regarding a new pilot program they are working on that needs an appraiser.  It's called Estate Disputes and the premise is that they bring in an appriaser and mediators and help a family settle whatever disputes might exist.  Has an interesting base so I thought it might actually be something worth doing.  More later if it blossoms.

4. Someone came in who had looked at a postal sorter we have from Penn Terminal which was marked $2,500.  You can see it to the right of the photos. They had offered me $2,000 which I declined even though I paid $800 for the piece about 15 years ago.  The problem for me was that it holds all sorts of ephemera and I can't figure out how to replace it.  Anyways, they came back to me with another offer which was great because I thought I had lost the sale but their house is moving along and 4 weeks has passed and now they wanted it more.  We have a sale for $2,250 and we're both happy.  I get to pay the mortgage another month.  Yeha!

5. I bought a sign which had stood near the border of Wolfeboro and Mirror Lake and the Libby Museum for years.  I bought it from the signmaker who was replacing the sign and I placed it as high up in the barn as my son could reach.  Well of course, a young man came in and bought it.  The young man turned out to be Blake Marriott who is taking the sign to his Tuftonboro estate.  Yeha!  Another good sale.

6. The Town of Wolfeboro is celebrating 250 years this year and they had an encampment from the French and Indian War of 1750 ish.  The encampment was disappointing but the press it garned attracted all sorts of people across the street from me who happened to be history lovers.  Unfortunately, the vendors were selling new necklaces from China or some other cheap labor force. I had a great day in sales from it and today is raining which is a golden opportunity to open in the Lakes Region because tourists can't be on the lake, the golf course or the tennis courts.  Better get open!

No comments:

Post a Comment