Monday, August 9, 2010

Huggins Hospital Street Fair

It has certainly been a busy week for me here at Dragonflies Antiques.  My daily blog is turning into a weekly blog but that's ok.  Daily my life can be boring or a whirlwind. You never know in my life.

The first full weekend of August each year the Huggins Hospital holds a Street Fair which is put on by hundreds of volunteers selling all sorts of donated goods, plants, bakery, toys, sports, white elephants, electrical, high style boutique clothes for each sex as well as regular casual clothes.  It attracts thousands of people right across the street from me pushing my numbers from 50-75 people per day to 300+ in a day.  Sales were good over the weekend.  I get the most fascinating people through my door, like the History Professor from PA who told me Wolfeboro is not 250 years old like we're celebrating but rather 251 or 240 depending on if you use the year 1759 or 1770.  A couple from France who just knocked on my door and asked for an apartment - we both got lucky on that score. It's amazing what $100 will do. Opens the door right up. :)

But the most fun was meeting Brian Miller and the Grand Prarie Band from Scotland. Their band of 5 players had been flown to the US for an all expense paid trip to play at a private party.  They had no idea who was having the party but Brian and I had a great time talking about the Beatles and an old postcard we had once which I sold for $800.  It was signed by 3 of the Beatles and someone standing in for Ringo while he had his tonsils out.  Brian knew right away it was from 1965 Australian tour and the guy standing in was Jimmy Nicols. 

Well Brian came back the next day with a few more band members and invited me to Garwoods Resturant to hear him play.  He told me the party was the annual bash at Bob Baher's Mansion.  The guest list include 400 people and no Dragonflies but the secret musician this year was Willie Nelson who played for about 1 1/2 hours. How nice!  Bob Baher is the ex-owner of Loudon Intnl. Speedway.  I did get the opportunity to listen to them and Rob Wilson who is a famous race car driver and instructor in England.  They played at our local pub and did a bang up job.  It was lots of fun and reminded me once again why I love living in Wolfeboro. 

It's been lots of fun this week having so many quirky people come in.  The costumes on some of these kids now-a-days amazes me.  I feel like my mother - you'd never think of me as an ex-hippy but these kids really can blow my mind. They give the word creative a new meaning with their body art and style.

Unfortunately the Beer Wolfe which I put out on the corner of my property got beat up and got his nose broke.  Guess I'll have to build a concrete wall to eliminate the pest who keeps breaking my things! 

H

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    This is Ryk Mead the other guitarist from the English band that visited the barn before you came to see us play at Garwoods. It's great that you enjoyed the gig and who knows maybe we'll be back next year. Visiting your fabulous barn will be a must. Did that video clip you took of the band come out? It would be great to see it. perhaps we can all have drinks the next time we are in Wolofeboro.

    ReplyDelete