Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I finally succumb and put on long pants and a sweater this week.   Last night my son Sterling asked when we can start using the heat?  What a crazy man - it's only September.

Been very busy in the shop recently.  The weather switch has really brought out lots of people.  Today I had people in from Australia, Michigan and Wisconsin.  Pre-leaf peepers I guess.

Sterling and I had a nice housecall in Alton NH last night.  A nice older couple came into the shop yesterday with some bottles.  I was interested in seeing how a few would clean up so I asked permission to put them in the dishwasher.  The pepper in the shaker had turned one bottle a very interesting shade that looked more like curry. 

Anyways, the said they were downsizing which was my opening.  We started in the garage where Sterling climbed up into the lofts.  If he hadn't been with me I certainly wouldn't have gone up there but he was successful in picking an old, old wheelbarrow with a wooden wheel and an oak commode which had been painted at some point white.  We broke the ice with a $75 offer for those two items and then headed for the house.

The house was neat as a pin - just amazing!  This particular couple was preparing to sell their Alton house and head permanently to Florida.  Slowly, they took us room by room through the entire house.  In each room I'd tell them I was interested in something for later, once the house sold and the Mrs. would put it on her list, or if it was something they could let go right away I'd put it on my list with a price.

The thing that amazed them was the diversity of things I was interested in from 1960's Teak Moderne Chairs to a framed Civil War Family Deguaretype of their family.  They knew I'd like the Hoadley & Plymouth Tall Clock but were totally surpised I'd be interested in her pitcher collection.  What fun we had surprising one another.  From old stock certificates to a cast iron pelican bottle opener we all talked and laughed for several hours until dark was closing in on us.

I left with a list of things to research such as the stock certificates and tall clock but also some Albrecht Durer prints circa 1500 and many other interesting things to research.  Google has certainly changed the research world for the better.  Maine Antiques Digest also has a terrific price data base.  So stay tuned. 

I'm continuing to put the badge collection on eBay for the Tuftonboro estate and I will also be listing things tonite I bought in Alton last night.  Stay tuned.  Cathy Dragonfly

No comments:

Post a Comment