Sunday, February 14, 2010

Texas and New Mexico - It's not all fun!

When we were visitng the Orange Show in Houston the folks who were in charge told us abouct a more scenic route across the bottom of the country - across Route 90.  So wanting an adventure we headed south to Marfa which was not much of a town BUT there was a magnificent building called the Presido which was the town hall.  We stayed at a local motel which was just next door to the Cowboy Church which was an interesting thought in itself. 

Frank is into the local food ever where we go and he found a great taco stand called Encilada Norte in Marfa where he ate 2 Gorditas with homemade corn shells made right in front of him.  He loved it but by this time I wasn't feeling too well and was blaming it on the previous taco stand. 

One of the most bizare things about Marfa was really about 20+ miles outside of Marfa when you're driving along and there is absolutely nothing but desert everywhere you look and then all of a sudden there is a Prada Store.  That's right - Prada as in shoes - you know The Devil wears Prada.  It's really an art installation.  I've posted photos of it but it was just a glass front shop with doors that do not ever open and inside on display boxes were 1/2 dozen pairs of shoes and purses.  How strange!


On when went driving thru the desert with beautiful mountains off in the distance everywhere we looked.  At one point we went over an incredible bridge which we actually stopped to look at from a rest area - it was some impressive.  While in the rest area we met a Rancher who was quite interesting to talk with.  He managed 30,000 acres!!!!!  I was feeling worse and worse as we drove on.  He encouraged us to go down through the Big Bend National Park area but Frank decided I needed to get to my house sooner then later.

We went on to Las Cruces where my mother, my son Sterling and my sister's family all live.  I was getting worse with each passing day and finally checked myself into the local emergency room.  Severly dehydrated after a little cocktail of antibiotics I was back on the mend - kind of.  It was actually 3 days of down time.  I was at my mothers to help her with an eye operation so it was imperative I take care of myself in short order.  It was nice to have my husband and sister reconnect after 20+ years absence and it was nice to see my son's first apartment and that he could actually support himself without me.   (Kinda)

Before I left the lovely Senior Housing complex where my Mom lives I conducted a Free Appraisal Day for the other seniors.  I had been thinking about the 5 carat heart shaped diamond my grandmother had left to my couin and how I never even see diamonds that huge when lo and behold 2 of the women I met each had a ring that was more then 5 carats.  One of the 2 women had a 4 carat and a 5 carat.  She asked me to appraise her safe - not her diamonds thank heavens!  I met another fascinating women whose husband had been a Commander in the Navy and she had traveled and lived all over the world.  She owned fascinating objects and I so enjhoyed spending an afternoon with her.  Her husband had written or revised all of the manuals for the Navy - Her copies had been bound in luxurious, blue, moroccan leather!  We also met a Navy WAV who had been an emergency nurse in Vietnam from 1963-1966.  She was fascinating too!  I love the wisdom of people who have lived life so fully.

After a week of mending myself and my mother we were back on the road again.  Now that we've filled all of our family obligations it was time to start the vacation.

Watching the Olympics tonite in Gallup New Mexico - will write more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment